New! Version 3 comes with the latest module which has external antenna support and Pulse-Per-Second output
We carry a few different GPS modules here in the Adafruit shop, but none that satisfied our every desire - that's why we designed this little GPS breakout board. We believe this is the Ultimate GPS module, so we named it that. It's got everything you want and more:
- -165 dBm sensitivity, 10 Hz updates, 66 channels
- 5V friendly design and only 20mA current draw
- Breadboard friendly + two mounting holes
- RTC battery-compatible
- Built-in datalogging
- PPS output on fix
- We have received reports that it works up to ~32Km altitude (the GPS theoretically does not have a limit until 40Km)
- Internal patch antenna + u.FL connector for external active antenna
- Fix status LED
The breakout is built around the MTK3339 chipset, a no-nonsense, high-quality GPS module that can track up to 22 satellites on 66 channels, has an excellent high-sensitivity receiver (-165 dB tracking!), and a built in antenna. It can do up to 10 location updates a second for high speed, high sensitivity logging or tracking. Power usage is incredibly low, only 20 mA during navigation.
Best of all, we added all the extra goodies you could ever want: a ultra-low dropout 3.3V regulator so you can power it with 3.3-5VDC in, 5V level safe inputs, ENABLE pin so you can turn off the module using any microcontroller pin or switch, a footprint for optional CR1220 coin cell to keep the RTC running and allow warm starts and a tiny bright red LED. The LED blinks at about 1Hz while it's searching for satellites and blinks once every 15 seconds when a fix is found to conserve power. If you want to have an LED on all the time, we also provide the FIX signal out on a pin so you can put an external LED on.
Two features that really stand out about version 3 MTK3339-based module is the external antenna functionality and the the built in data-logging capability. The module has a standard ceramic patch antenna that gives it -165 dB sensitivity, but when you want to have a bigger antenna, you can snap on any 3V active GPS antenna via the uFL connector. The module will automatically detect the active antenna and switch over! Most GPS antennas use SMA connectors so you may want to pick up one of our uFL to SMA adapters.
The other cool feature of the new MTK3339-based module (which we have tested with great success) is the built in datalogging ability. Since there is a microcontroller inside the module, with some empty FLASH memory, the newest firmware now allows sending commands to do internal logging to that FLASH. The only thing is that you do need to have a microcontroller send the "Start Logging" command. However, after that message is sent, the microcontroller can go to sleep and does not need to wake up to talk to the GPS anymore to reduce power consumption. The time, date, longitude, latitude, and height is logged every 15 seconds and only when there is a fix. The internal FLASH can store about 16 hours of data, it will automatically append data so you don't have to worry about accidentally losing data if power is lost. It is not possible to change what is logged and how often, as its hardcoded into the module but we found that this arrangement covers many of the most common GPS datalogging requirements.
We've received reports from customers that have tested this version of the Ultimate GPS module in a high-altitude balloon, and it kept fix up to ~32km! There is a (theoretical, untested) firmware limit of 40Km. However, we provide no guarantee that it will work in all HAB's.
Comes with one fully assembled and tested module, a piece of header you can solder to it for breadboarding, and a CR1220 coin cell holder. A CR1220 coin cell is not included.
- Satellites: 22 tracking, 66 searching
- Patch Antenna Size: 15mm x 15mm x 4mm
- Update rate: 1 to 10 Hz
- Position Accuracy: < 3 meters (all GPS technology has about 3m accuracy)
- Velocity Accuracy: 0.1 meters/s
- Warm/cold start: 34 seconds
- Acquisition sensitivity: -145 dBm
- Tracking sensitivity: -165 dBm
- Maximum Altitude for PA6H: according to the factory, this module will perform up to 40Km but it is only known-tested up to 32,000 Meters
- Maximum Velocity: 515m/s
- Vin range: 3.0-5.5VDC
- MTK3339 Operating current: 25mA tracking, 20 mA current draw during navigation
- Output: NMEA 0183, 9600 baud default
- DGPS/WAAS/EGNOS supported
- FCC E911 compliance and AGPS support (Offline mode : EPO valid up to 14 days )
- Up to 210 PRN channels
- Jammer detection and reduction
- Multi-path detection and compensation
- Weight (not including coin cell or holder): 8.5g
- Dimensions (not including coin cell or holder): 25.5mm x 35mm x 6.5mm / 1.0" x 1.35" x 0.25"
We have a nice fancy library for GPS usage, with background parsing and can set and query the built in GPS logging capability (called LOCUS). A full tutorial is also available, which has tons of information about the module, how to use the data logger and more
- As of 8/10/2014 we are shipping with firmware v. 5632 which improves high-altitude calculations and stability. It is equivalent in all other functionality and is a drop-in replacement.
GPS Ultimate Breakout - 66 Channels with 10Hz updates 
- Brand: Adafruit
- Product Code: ADA-746
- Reward Points: 44
- Availability: Out Of Stock
- Ex Tax: £44.34
- Price in reward points: 500