Taking a break
We're taking a break moving shop and hope to be back soon. We hope to start shipping orders in Nov 2018.
This breakout board for TI’s DRV8825 microstepping bipolar stepper motor driver features adjustable current limiting, over-current and over-temperature protection, and six microstep resolutions (down to 1/32-step). It operates from 8.2 V to 45 V and can deliver up to approximately 1.5 A per phase without a heat sink or forced air flow (rated for up to 2.2 A per coil with sufficient additional cooling). The driver has a pinout and interface that are nearly identical to those of our A4988 stepper motor driver carriers, so it can be used as a higher-performance drop-in replacement for those boards in many applications. This board ships with 0.1 male header pins included but not soldered in.
This product is a carrier board or breakout board for TI’s DRV8825 stepper motor driver; we therefore recommend careful reading of the DRV8825 datasheet (1MB pdf) before using this product. This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to 2.2 A output current per coil (see the Power Dissipation Considerations section below for more information). Here are some of the driver’s key features:
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Six different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, 1/4-step, 1/8-step, 1/16-step, and 1/32-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output with a potentiometer, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Intelligent chopping control that automatically selects the correct current decay mode (fast decay or slow decay)
- 45 V maximum supply voltage
- Built-in regulator (no external logic voltage supply needed)
- Can interface directly with 3.3 V and 5 V systems
- Over-temperature thermal shutdown, over-current shutdown, and under-voltage lockout
- Short-to-ground and shorted-load protection
- 4-layer, 2 oz copper PCB for improved heat dissipation
- Exposed solderable ground pad below the driver IC on the bottom of the PCB
- Module size, pinout, and interface match those of our A4988 stepper motor driver carriers in most respects (see the bottom of this page for more information)
A DRV8824 stepper motor driver carrier is available that can serve as a direct substitute for the DRV8825 carrier when using lower-current stepper motors. The DRV8824 can only deliver up to 0.75 A per coil without a heat sink (1.2 A max with proper cooling), but it has larger current-sense resistors that allow for better microstepping performance than the DRV8825 carrier at low currents. The only way to tell our DRV8824 carrier apart from the DRV8825 carrier is by the markings on the driver IC; if you have a mix of the two, you might consider marking them (there is a blank square on the bottom silkscreen you can use for this).
Note that we carry several other stepper motor drivers that can be used as alternatives for this module (and drop-in replacements in many applications):
- The DRV8834 carrier works with motor supply voltages as low as 2.5 V, making it suitable for low-voltage applications.
- The DRV8880 carrier offers dynamically scalable current limiting and “AutoTune”, which automatically selects the decay mode each PWM cycle for optimal current regulation performance based on factors like the motor winding resistance and inductance and the motor’s dynamic speed and load.
- The Black Edition A4988 stepper motor driver carrier is a higher performance version of our original A4988 carrier.
This product ships with all surface-mount components—including the DRV8825 driver IC—installed as shown in the product picture.
This product ships individually packaged with 0.1 male header pins included but not soldered in.
Some unipolar stepper motors (e.g. those with six or eight leads) can be controlled by this driver as bipolar stepper motors. For more information, please see the frequently asked questions. Unipolar motors with five leads cannot be used with this driver.
The DRV8825 stepper motor driver carrier ships with one 1x16-pin breakaway 0.1" male header. The headers can be soldered in for use with solderless breadboards or 0.1" female connectors. You can also solder your motor leads and other connections directly to the board.
Caution: Installing the header pins so that the silkscreen side is up and the components are down can limit the range of motion of the trimpot used to set the current limit. If you plan on installing the header pins in this orientation, please set the current limit before soldering in the pins.
- Product Wiki
- Texas Instruments DRV8825 stepper motor driver datasheet
- DRV8824/DRV8825 stepper motor driver carrier schematic diagram: Printable schematic diagram for the DRV8824/DRV8825 stepper motor driver carrier.
- Dimension diagram of the DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, High Current
- 3D model of the DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, High Current
- Drill guide for the DRV8824/DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier: This DXF drawing shows the locations of all of the board’s holes.
- Video: setting the current limit on Pololu stepper motor driver carriers
- Texas Instruments DRV8825 product page: Texas Instruments product page for the DRV8825, where you can find the latest datasheet and additional resources.
- Arduino library for A4988, DRV8825, DRV8834: This Arduino library, written by forum member laurb9, allows users to control a stepper motor with our A4988, DRV8825, or DRV8834 carriers. The library has functions that enable users to set rotational rate, change microstepping mode, and specify how many steps to take or specify how many degrees to rotate.
- Video: Setting the Current Limit on Pololu Stepper Motor Driver Carriers: One of my many roles here at Pololu is overseeing technical support, and I have seen countless cases of customers who have problems with their...
- Big price reductions and new options for our popular stepper motor drivers: We recently substantially reduced prices on our stepper motor driver carriers, and I figured this announcement was a good time to give you an update...
DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, High Current 
- Brand: Pololu
- Product Code: POL-2133
- Reward Points: 9
- Availability: 7
- Ex Tax: £9.65
- Price in reward points: 100