This RC relay enables easy control of large, electrically isolated loads in radio control (RC) systems. The activation threshold and direction are configurable, and a safe-start feature reduces the likelihood of unexpected activation. This assembled version ships with the 5V relay, terminal block, and straight male header pins soldered in, so it can be integrated into hobby RC systems without the need for additional soldering. The included power relay is an Omron G5LE-14-DC5 and is rated for up to 10 A under most conditions.
This product consists of a single-pole, double-throw (SPDT) power relay and a control circuit that measures incoming radio control (RC) signals, making it easy to control large, electrically isolated loads in RC systems. Example applications include using extra channels on an RC receiver or servo controller to turn on lights, motors, or irrigation valves. The RC switch is available pre-soldered or as a partial kit that allows for greater application flexibility:
The RC switch measures the width of incoming RC pulses and compares it to a user-configurable threshold (with 64 µs of hysteresis) to decide whether to activate the relay. By default, the threshold is approximately 1700 μs, with switch activation occurring above the threshold (longer pulses), but the switch has a learning mode that allows you to change the threshold and the activation direction. A safe-start feature reduces the likelihood of unexpected activation.
We generally recommend using a 4- or 5-cell NiMH or NiCD battery pack to power the switch. The battery pack will typically be connected to an RC receiver or servo controller, which passes the power on to the RC switch.
The included relay is an Omron G5LE-14-DC5 (1MB pdf) and is rated for up to 10 A under most conditions.
Included hardwareThis assembled version ships with the 5V Omron relay, header pins, and terminal block soldered in. A 1x 2-pin male header and a shorting block are also included with the assembled version and can be used to configure the device. The assembled version can be incorporated into an existing RC system without the need for any additional soldering.
The board has four mounting holes that work with #2 or M2 screws (not included).
Advantages over similar products
- Compact layout
- User-configurable activation threshold and direction
- Safe-start mode to reduce likelihood of unexpected activation
- Zener diode for fast current decay on relay coil
- Specification of electrical routing clearance rules on relay switch nodes (see user’s guide)
- Product Wiki
- Pololu RC Switch User’s Guide: User’s manual for the Pololu RC Switch with Medium Low-Side MOSFET and the Pololu RC Switch with Relay.
- Omron G5LE single-pole 10A power relay datasheet
- Pololu RC Switch with Relay schematic diagram: Printable schematic diagram of the Pololu RC Switch with Relay.
- RC wildlife photography usingTReX motor controllers and RC switches: Wildlife photographer StÃ©phane SimoÃ«ns uses a remote-controlled, camouflaged vehicle to bring his camera closer to animals without scaring them...
- Control a GoPro remotely using a CamDo Bullet and RC switch: When capturing photographs of wildlife, it is not always feasible to be close enough to trigger your camera with a standard wired remote. In these...
- One-sixth scale Mark 1 British Heavy Tank by Helen Lawson: Helen Lawson designed and built a one-sixth scale Mark 1 British Heavy Tank replica that is a functional, radio controlled robot. The replica has...
- Introducing RPicSim: RPicSim is an open source software library written in Ruby that provides an interface to the MPLABÂ X PIC simulator and allows you to write...
RC Switch with Relay (Assembled) 
- Brand: Pololu
- Product Code: POL-2804
- Reward Points: 11
- Availability: 5
- Ex Tax: £11.95
- Price in reward points: 200