Taking a break
We're taking a break moving shop and hope to be back soon. We will ship orders on 2018-07-25.
The S7V7F5 switching step-up/step-down regulator efficiently produces 5 V from input voltages between 2.7 V and 11.8 V. Its ability to convert both higher and lower input voltages makes it useful for applications where the power supply voltage can vary greatly, as with batteries that start above but discharge below 5 V. The very compact (0.35" & 0.475") module has a typical efficiency of over 90% and can supply up to 1 A when stepping down and about 500 mA when stepping up.
The Pololu step-up/step-down voltage regulator S7V7F5 is a switching regulator (also called a switched-mode power supply (SMPS) or DC-to-DC converter) that uses a buck-boost topology. It takes an input voltage from 2.7 V to 11.8 V and increases or decreases the voltage to a fixed 5 V output with a typical efficiency of over 90%.
This flexibility in input voltage is especially well-suited for battery-powered applications in which the battery voltage begins above 5 V and drops below as the battery discharges. Without the typical restriction on the battery voltage staying above the required voltage throughout its life, new battery packs and form factors can be considered. For instance, a 4-cell battery holder, which might have a 6 V output with fresh alkalines but a 4.8 V nominal voltage with NiMH cells and a 4.0 V output with partially discharged cells, can now be used for a 5 V circuit. In another typical scenario, a disposable 9V battery powering a 5 V circuit can be discharged to under 3 V instead of cutting out at 6 V, as with typical linear or step-down regulators.
In typical applications, this regulator can deliver about 1 A continuous when the input voltage is higher than 5 V (stepping down) and 500 mA continuous when the input is lower than 5 V (stepping up); please see the graphs at the bottom of this page for a more detailed characterization. The regulator has short-circuit protection, and thermal shutdown prevents damage from overheating; the board does not have reverse-voltage protection.
For an adjustable-output version of this regulator, consider the step-up/step-down voltage regulator S7V8A.
- input voltage: 2.7 V to 11.8 V
- fixed 5V output with +5/-3% accuracy
- typical continuous output current: 1 A when stepping down; 500 mA when stepping up (Actual continuous output current depends on input voltage. See Typical Efficiency and Output Current section below for details.)
- power-saving feature maintains high efficiency at low currents (quiescent current is less than 0.1 mA)
- integrated over-temperature and short-circuit protection
- small size: 0.35" x 0.475" x 0.1" (9 x 12 x 3 mm)
- Product Wiki
- Pololu 5V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S7V7F5 schematic diagram: Printable schematic diagram for the Pololu 5V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S7V7F5.
- Texas Instruments TPS6306x regulator datasheet
- Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S7V7F5 drill guide: This DXF drawing shows the locations of all of the board’s holes.
- PiBot-A: mobile robot with a Raspberry Pi: Thomas Schoch, who previously built the PiBot-B we blogged about, built another robot with a Raspberry Pi. His robot, the PiBot-A, uses our DRV8835...
- Jamee's dead reckoning robot: Several Pololu employees made robots for the LVBots dead reckoning competition. Unfortunately, my robot didnât work enough in time for the...
- Paul's dead reckoning robot: This post is about my first-place entry in the 2014 LVBots Dead Reckoning Competition, a 150Â mm round robot named paul-dead-reckoning2.88ec5df. I...
- R2-DR, Kevin's dead reckoning robot: When I first started planning a robot for the recent LVBots dead reckoning competition, it was more or less a conventional designâa flat chassis...
- David and Fang's dead reckoning robot based on the mbed LPC1768: Several people here at Pololu made robots to compete in the LVBots dead reckoning competition last week. This post is about the robot I made along...
5V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S7V7F5 
- Brand: Pololu
- Product Code: POL-2119
- Reward Points: 5
- Availability: 4
- Ex Tax: £5.95
- Price in reward points: 100