Taking a break
We're taking a break moving shop and hope to be back soon. We will ship orders on 2018-07-25.
This carrier for ST’s LPS25H digital barometer measures pressures from 260 mbar to 1260 mbar (26 kPa to 126 kPa) with absolute accuracy down to 0.2 mbar (0.02 kPa) and typical RMS noise of 0.01 mbar (1 Pa) in high-resolution mode. These pressures can easily be converted to altitudes. The board has a 3.3 V linear regulator and integrated level shifters that allow it to work over an input voltage range of 2.5 V to 5.5 V, and the 0.1 pin spacing makes it easy to use with standard solderless breadboards and 0.1 perfboards. The sensor offers IC and SPI interfaces.
This board is a compact (0.4 0.8) carrier for ST’s LPS25H MEMS absolute pressure sensor, or barometer; we therefore recommend careful reading of the LPS25H datasheet (1MB pdf) before using this product. The LPS25H is a great IC, but its small, leadless, LGA package makes it difficult for the typical student or hobbyist to use. It also operates at voltages below 3.6 V, which can make interfacing difficult for microcontrollers operating at 5 V. This carrier board addresses these issues by incorporating additional electronics, including a 3.3 V voltage regulator and level-shifting circuits, while keeping the overall size as compact as possible. The board ships fully populated with its SMD components, including the LPS25H, as shown in the product picture.
Compared to the earlier LPS331AP, the LPS25H features improved accuracy and reduced noise in the output. The addition of a built-in FIFO (First In, First Out) buffer allows the sensor to store pressure readings for burst transmission, reducing overall power consumption by allowing the host processor to sleep longer between data requests. Alternatively, the FIFO can be configured to perform a running average of pressure readings to further decrease the output noise.
This LPS25H carrier board is pin-compatible with our LPS331AP carrier, but due to the removal of one of the interrupt pins on the LPS25H, the position of the mounting hole has changed relative to the remaining pins. The two sensors use the same IC addresses, but some of their configuration register fields are different, so code written to interface with an LPS331 might need to be modified to work with an LPS25H.
The LPS25H features embedded temperature compensation and has many configurable options, including selectable resolutions, a choice of output data rates, several FIFO operating modes, and a programmable external interrupt signal. Its pressure output has an absolute pressure accuracy over temperature as low as 0.2 mbar (0.02 kPa), with RMS noise of 0.01 mbar (0.001 kPa) in the highest-resolution mode with embedded filtering enabled. Pressure and temperature sensor data are available through a digital interface, which can be configured to operate in either IC or SPI mode, and can be used for altimetry. (See the Sample Code section below for an Arduino library that can be used to turn this sensor into an altimeter.)
The carrier board includes a low-dropout linear voltage regulator that provides the 3.3 V required by the LPS25H, which allows the sensor to be powered from a 2.5 V to 5.5 V supply. The regulator output is available on the VDD pin and can supply almost 150 mA to external devices. The breakout board also includes a circuit that shifts the IC/SPI clock and data in lines to the same logic voltage level as the supplied VIN, making it simple to interface the board with 5 V systems, and the board’s 0.1 pin spacing makes it easy to use with standard solderless breadboards and 0.1 perfboards.
- Dimensions: 0.4" x 0.8" x 0.1" (10 x 20 x 3 mm)
- Weight without header pins: 0.5 g (0.02 oz)
- Operating voltage: 2.5 V to 5.5 V
- Supply current: 2 mA
- Output format (IC/SPI): 24-bit pressure reading (4096 LSb/mbar)
- Sensitivity range: 260 mbar to 1260 mbar (26 kPa to 126 kPa)
A 18 strip of 0.1" header pins and a 18 strip of 0.1" right-angle header pins are included, as shown in the picture below. You can solder the header strip of your choice to the board for use with custom cables or solderless breadboards, or you can solder wires directly to the board itself for more compact installations.
The board has one mounting hole that works with #2 and M2 screws (not included).
- Product Wiki
- LPS25H datasheet: Datasheet for the ST LPS25H MEMS pressure sensor.
- LPS25H Pressure/Altitude Sensor Carrier with Voltage Regulator schematic diagram: Printable schematic diagram of the LPS25H Pressure/Altitude Sensor Carrier with Voltage Regulator.
- AN4450: hardware and software guidelines for the LPS25H: Application note from ST with hardware and software guidelines for use of the LPS25H pressure sensor.
- UM10204 IÂ²C-bus specification and user manual: The official specification for the IÂ²C-bus, which is maintained by NXP.
- LPS Arduino library: This is a library for the Arduino that interfaces with our LPS25H and LPS331AP pressure/altitude sensor carriers as well as the pressure sensor on the AltIMU-10 v3 (it also works with the original AltIMU-10). It makes it simple to read the raw pressure data from the sensor, and it provides functions to help calculate altitude based on the measured pressure.
- New product: AltIMU-10 v4 gyro, accelerometer, compass, and altimeter: Two weeks ago, we announced a big price reduction of our MEMS-based sensors and explained a little about why we release new versions of these boards...
- Big price reduction of Pololu MEMS sensor carriers and IMUs: We have some very exciting price reduction news to share with you, but first: A little background 3-axis accelerometer carrier, released 22 Apr...
- New product: LPS25H pressure/altitude sensor carrier: Weâve just released a carrier board for STâs newest pressure sensor, the LPS25H, and weâre also lowering the price of our LPS331AP carrier. Like the...
LPS25H Pressure/Altitude Sensor Carrier with Voltage Regulator 
- Brand: Pololu
- Product Code: POL-2724
- Reward Points: 8
- Availability: 1
- Ex Tax: £8.65
- Price in reward points: 100