The eTape Liquid Level Sensor is a solid-state sensor with a resistive output that varies with the level of the fluid. It does away with clunky mechanical floats, and easily interfaces with electronic control systems. The eTape sensor's envelope is compressed by the hydrostatic pressure of the fluid in which it is immersed. This results in a change in resistance that corresponds to the distance from the top of the sensor to the surface of the fluid. The sensor's resistive output is inversely proportional to the height of the liquid: the lower the liquid level, the higher the output resistance; the higher the liquid level, the lower the output resistance.
This is a very unique sensor, we haven't seen anything else that is affordable and accurate for measuring liquid level. This sensor seems like it would be a handy addition to an hydroponics, aquarium, fountain or pool controller, or perhaps measuring a rain tube. This particular sensor is the 8" model, we also include a 4-pin connector and 560 ohm resistor. The connector is so you don't have to solder directly to the delicate pins: instead, just solder to the connector and plug it onto the sensor.
Since the sensor is resistive, it is easy to read it using a microcontroller/Arduino ADC pin. Check the tutorials tab for a quick-start pointer.
- Sensor Length: 10.1" (257 mm)
- Width: 1.0" (25.4mm)
- Thickness: 0.015" (0.208 mm)
- Resistance Gradient: 140Ω / inch (56Ω / cm), ± 10%
- Active Sensor Length: 8.4" (213 mm)
- Substrate: Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
- Sensor Output: 1500Ω empty, 300Ω full, ± 10%
- Actuation Depth: Nominal 1 inch (25.4 mm)
- Resolution: 0.01 inch (0.25 mm)
- Temperature Range: 15°F - 140°F (-9°C - 60°C)
For more information, check out:
Liquid Level eTape Sensor - 8 inch 
- Brand: Adafruit
- Product Code: ADA-463
- Reward Points: 39
- Availability: 1
- Ex Tax: £37.95
- Price in reward points: 400